• How do I apply for xEdu program?
In Spring (May-July), we open the application period to the Fall program, and in Fall (December-January) we open the application period to Spring program. When the application period is announced we share a link to the application form on the f6s platform on our website, newsletter and social media. To apply to the program, go through the link, register your company and team on f6s and answer the application questions during the application period.
Note: You can fill part of the application and get back to it and edit as much as you want before you choose “finalized” status for your application. Make sure you have your application status as “finalized” before the application period is over.
After the application period ends, xEdu chooses 20-30 startups to proceed to the second stage with interviews. We will let you know within a week after the end of the application period whether you are chosen for the interview or your application is rejected.
Note: We announce the interview dates on the application page. Please make sure that you are available on those days. The interview lasts for 20 min per company. Finnish teams are advised to be physically present in Helsinki for the interview. The foreign teams can participate online (we use Zoom).
After all the interviews are over, we strive to let you know within days whether you are chosen to participate in the program. After the decision, we deliver a contract to you and after the signing, you are officially in.
• Companies on what stage does xEdu take in?
You need to have the company registered and at least a prototype ready. If your company is at a later stage you can apply and get great benefits too.
• I have an awesome idea and want to develop it at xEdu. Can I do it?
At the moment, we focus on acceleration of the startups that already have a product or at least a prototype, a team and business ready. However, we sometimes organize hackathons or boot camps for idea-stage startups. We recommend to follow us not to miss these opportunities.
• Does xEdu take equity? Do we need to pay anything?
Yes, we take 3-5 % of equity for the acceleration program. Additional equity may apply in case of investment. No, you don’t need to pay for any other services within the scope of the program. We have also negotiated special prices for certain additional services you may want to use (e.g. preparing a shareholder agreement).
• Does xEdu fund companies?
xEdu does not fund the companies directly, but we work closely with our investor partners focused on education startups and social impact. In Spring 2019 program, we will introduce for the first time a guaranteed match with our investor partners. In practice, this normally means investment for up to 50.000 EUR for additional equity (based on milestones achieved during the program).
• Does my startup have to be technology-based to be accepted?
We look at education in a broad sense, so your product/service doesn’t have to be technology-based. However, we do prefer startups with a possibility to scale and go to international markets. So if your startup doesn’t use any technology at all, it has to be quite unique for us to accept it and for you to make the most out of the program.
• Do you look at the pedagogical side of my product/service?
Yes. Pedagogy and learning principles are important to us. It is also important that it correlates with the 21st-century skills.
• We applied before but didn’t get chosen. Can we apply again?
Yes! You can apply as many times as you want. It happened before that the startups were not ready yet for the program but had potential and got accepted after applying for the second/third time.
OUR STARTUP IS BASED OUTSIDE OF FINLAND
• Can foreign companies apply to xEdu?
Yes, any company from any country can apply and take part in the program (if accepted, of course).
• We got accepted to the program. Do we have to establish a company in Finland?
No, you can have your company registered in your own country. You don’t need to have any relations to Finland except for travelling over during the program.
• Do we need to move to Helsinki for the 3 months of the program?
So far, we have had 3 ways of participating for foreign teams:
- You may choose to move to Helsinki for 3 months of the program.
- If you live close by, you may choose to travel to Helsinki on separate days agreed with the Program Manager and do the rest online.
- If you live quite far, you may choose to travel to Helsinki e.g. for 2-3 weeks at the beginning of the program, a couple of weeks in the middle and a couple of weeks in the end, and do the rest online.
Note: The more actively you participate — the better value you get out of the program. Online participation is possible only in some sessions since our workshops are highly interactive.
• Do I need to speak Finnish?
No, the language of the program is English. However, your level of English should be quite high as you’ll be developing the business and pitching in English.
Note: There might be some activities in the program organized by our partners in Finnish or some communication done in Finnish. We will always try to organize ways of translating the information to you.
PARTICIPATION IN THE PROGRAM
• How many programs do you run?
We run two programs per year with approximately 10 startups each. Note: we call the programs “Spring” and “Fall” but it doesn’t follow the respective months. Spring program runs from March to June, and Fall program – from September to December.
• What happens during the 3-month program?
Check our Acceleration Journey here.
• How much time will it take?
Participation in the program requires commitment of 1 to 5 working days per week depending on the week (approximately 2-3 times of physical participation per week + working on business development, co-creation activities and others).
Generally speaking, you get the most out of the program if you truly focus on it and give back as well. Read more about it here.
• Do I need to be present at the program activities?
Yes, we require physical participation during the most program activities. We do that for the sake of community building and better learning. Since we take only education startups, it makes peer support and peer sharing a lot more efficient compared to a general accelerator. Please read more about this here.
• What happens after the program?
After the graduation from the program, you become a part of our alumni network. We continue helping you grow. As an xEdu alumni, you get among others:
- Access to GAN networks and all the perks coming with it.
- xEdu community support, trainings and events.
- Possibilities to go to international markets through our partnerships.
- Connections to investors.
- Marketing and visibility through the xEdu channels.
• I have a question that wasn’t mentioned in this FAQ.
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org